Background of the Office:
- Candidates for this office are nominated in Primary Elections and elected in General Elections of even years.
- Independent candidates will only appear on the ballot in the General Election.
- There are four State House Districts in Butler County. Each District seat will be on the ballot in 2020. The Districts include the 51st, 52nd, 53rd, and 54th House Districts. See the District Map to view where the districts are located.
- Each term is 2 years. (OH Const. Art. II, §2)
- Each term begins on January 1st following the election. (OH Const. Art. II, §2)
What are the requirements to run for State Representative?
Candidates for this position must:
- Live within the House District where they wish to run. Check what district you live in.
- Be a registered elector of the House District where they wish to run.
- Be at least 18 years of age. (OH Const. Art. V, §1, Art. XV §4)
- Live within the District for one year immediately preceding the election.
- Reside in the district for one year immediately preceding the election.
- Complete petition form 2-F for party-affiliated candidates or form 3-G for independent candidates. (Note: Petition forms should be printed on legal sized, 8 1/2" x 14" paper)
- Required signatures. (R.C. 3513.05, 3513.257)
- Collect between 50 and 150 signatures for major party candidates
- Collect between 25 and 75 signatures for minor party candidates
- Independent candidates should call Candidate and Ballot Services at (513) 887-3700, ext. 3 for signature requirements.
- Candidates filing for this office as independents must file their petitions no later than the day before the Primary Election.
What are the Campaign Finance Requirements?
All candidates running for state-level office must file within seven days after the filing deadline either a Declaration of Filing Day Finances (Form 31-W) or the Waiver of Declaration of Filing Day Finances (Form 31-AA), whichever is applicable. Failure to do so may result in your removal as a candidate on the ballot, even after the Board has otherwise certified your candidacy. (See, R.C. 3517.109(D)).
What are the Candidate Financial Disclosure Requirements?
A candidate must file a candidate’s financial disclosure form within the deadlines set by the Ohio General Assembly’s Joint Legislative Ethics Committee.
Call Candidate and Ballot Services at 513-887-3700, ext. 3 with any questions or for more information.