State Board of Education
Background of the Office:
- Candidates for this office are elected in even-number year General Elections.
- There are two State Board of Education Districts in Butler County, including the 3rd and 4th Districts. See the District Maps for more information.
- Both District seats will be on the ballot in 2022.
- Each term is 4 years. (R.C. 3301.02)
- Each term begins on January 1st following the election. (R.C. 3301.02)
Click here to view current Elected Officials
What are the requirements to run for State Board of Education?
Candidates for this position must:
- Live within the 3rd or 4th State Board of Education District.
- Be a registered elector of the 3rd or 4th State Board of Education District.
- Be at least 18 years of age. (OH Const. Art. XV, §4, R.C. 3301.03)
- Not, during the term of office, hold any other office of trust or profit or be an employee or officer of any public or private elementary or secondary school. (R.C. 3301.03)
- Complete petition Form 3-Z. (Note: Petition forms should be printed on legal sized, 8 1/2" x 14" paper)
- Use the Candidate Petition Guide before circulating your petition to prevent any errors that might disqualify you from the ballot.
- Collect between 100 and 300 signatures.
- Candidates for the 3rd State of Board of Education District will file in Montgomery County.
- Candidates for the 4th State Board of Education District will file in Hamilton County.
What are the Campaign Finance Requirements?
All candidates running for State-level offices must file with the Ohio Secretary of State.
What are the Candidate Financial Disclosure Requirements?
Non-incumbent candidates must file with the Ohio Ethics Commission no later than thirty days before the general election. (R.C. 102.02(A)(4)(b)) Incumbent candidates must file by May 15th. (R.C. 102.02(A)(4)(a)).
Call Candidate and Ballot Services at 513-887-3700, ext. 3 with any questions or for more information.