Monroe City Council
Background of the Office:
- Candidates for Monroe City Council are elected in odd year General Elections.
- Monroe City Council members are elected at-large (city-wide).
- There are seven at-large city council seats.
- Three at-large seats are on the ballot in 2025.
- Four at-large seats are on the ballot in 2023.
- Each term is 4 years. (R.C. 733.09)
- Each term begins on January 1st following the election. (R.C. 733.09)
Click here to view current Elected Officials
What are the requirements to run for Monroe City Council?
Candidates for this position must:
- Live within Monroe City and a qualified elector for at least one year immediately prior to the election (City Charter § 4.011)
- Be a registered elector of Monroe City.
- Be at least 18 years of age. (OH Const. Art. V, §1, Art. XV §4)
How do I run for Monroe City Council?
- Complete petition form 3-O. (Note: Petition forms should be printed on legal sized, 8 1/2" x 14" paper)
- Use the Candidate Petition Guide for nonpartisan petitions.
- Required signatures. (R.C. 3513.251)
- Collect between 50 and 150 signatures.
- File petitions with the Butler County Board of Elections no later than 90 days before the date of the General election. (R.C. 3513.251, 3513.261)
- Be sure to use the Filing Checklist before filing your petition.
- Pay filing fee by check or with the exact change of $45.00. (R.C. 3513.10, 3513.261)
What are the Campaign Finance Requirements?
All candidates running for office who spend any money, including their own personal funds, must file a Designation of Treasurer (Form 30-D) and complete subsequent reports. Candidates for this office should file with the Butler County Board of Elections.
What are the Candidate Financial Disclosure Requirements?
Non-incumbent candidates must file with the Ohio Ethics Commission no later than thirty days before the general election. (R.C. 102.02(A)(4)(b)) Incumbent candidates must file by May 15th. (R.C. 102.02(A)(4)(a)).
Contact Candidate and Ballot Services at 513-887-3700, ext. 3 with any questions or for more information.