Background of the Office:
- Candidates for this office are nominated in Primary Elections and elected in General Elections of even years.
- Independent candidates will only appear on the ballot in the General Election.
- This office will be on the ballot in 2022.
- Each term is 4 years. (R.C. 319.01)
- Each term begins on the second Monday in March following the election. (R.C. 319.01)
- There is only one Auditor of Butler County.
What are the requirements to run for County Auditor?
Candidates for this position must:
- Live within Butler County.
- Be a registered elector of Butler County.
- Be at least 18 years of age. (OH Const. Art. V, §1, Art. XV §4)
- Complete petition form 2-G for party-affiliated candidates or form 3-H for independent candidates. (Note: Petition forms should be printed on legal sized, 8 1/2" x 14" paper)
- Required signatures. (R.C. 3513.05, 3513.257)
- Collect between 50 and 150 signatures for major party candidates
- Collect between 25 and 75 signatures for minor party candidates
- Independent candidates should call Candidate and Ballot Services at (513) 887-3700, ext. 3 for signature requirements.
- Candidates filing for this office as independents must file their petitions no later than the day before the Primary Election.
- Be sure to use the Filing Checklist before filing your petition.
What are the Campaign Finance Requirements?
All candidates running for office who spend any money, including their own personal funds, must file a Designation of Treasurer (Form 30-D) and complete subsequent reports. Candidates for this office should file with the Butler County Board of Elections.
What are the Candidate Financial Disclosure Requirements?
A candidate must file a candidate's financial disclosure form within the deadlines set by the Ohio Ethics Commission, depending on when a candidate's petitions are certified by the Board of Elections or when their name first appears on the ballot in an election cycle.
Call Candidate and Ballot Services at 513-887-3700, ext. 3 with any questions or for more information.